Applications on Peergos
Published: Tue 20 August 2019
They're here - the first apps for Peergos!
The first application we've made available is a read-only viewer for PDF files. This is a super-simple app which adds very useful functionality to Peergos. Now you can securely and privately read PDF files within Peergos.
For the PDF viewer, we simply imported pdf.js from Mozilla and implemented a one-way message from the external context which sends the content of the PDF to render. For the text editor, we used a great library called Codemirror. This app required a slightly more complicated protocol than the one-way message system of the PDF viewer. We just needed a message to send the modified content back to the external context, and the privileged code could then save the modified file contents.
Before we open up the sandbox to truly untrusted apps, there is one prerequisite. Currently, browsers don't put sandboxed iframes into a different operating system process, which is necessary to be fully protected from CPU vulnerabilities such as Spectre or Meltdown. Both Firefox and Chrome are in the process of moving iframes to separate processes and once that lands, we can enable 100% safe sandboxes for Peergos applications!
In the meantime we can use it to curate semi-trusted apps like the PDF viewer and text editor. We'd love to hear what you use the text editor for!
-The Peergos team
- Markdown browser
- Release the BATs (block level access control in IPFS)
- Encrypted email storage and client
- Decentralized encrypted chat
- Peergos launches decentralized & encrypted social media
- Private and customizable profiles
- Simple decentralized web hosting on Peergos
- Encrypted shareable calendar
- Fast Encrypted File Search
- Private Planning Boards in Peergos
- How to solve the social dilemma and fix social media
- Peergos wins EU Next Generation Internet grant
- Direct S3 access
- Peergos release v0.3.0
- Keybase has left the building
- The perfect social network
- Atomic access control
- Peergos release v0.1.3
- Applications on Peergos
- Fast seeking and encrypted history
- IPFS Camp, new features
- Alpha Release
- Security Audit
- Development update